Green Buildings Need Green ChillersJason Siddall
When it comes to buildings, green is the new black. Green buildings are defined as those that, through their design, construction and operation, reduce or eliminate negative impacts on our natural environment and climate. Achieving official green building status is an in-depth procedure we go into in a little more detail here, but one of the key criteria is that although the building must have good environmental air quality, the air-conditioning system can only use between 30 and 40% of the building’s total annual energy consumption. This is why AquaForce® Vision 30KAV with Greenspeed intelligence, AHI Carrier’s new range of variable-speed screw chillers, is a perfect choice.
For buildings with a variable load throughout the year, 30KAV units are the ideal solution to the challenge of meeting environmental responsibilities while still ensuring the comfort of the people inside the building. 30KAV comfortably meets even the most demanding expectations, whatever the climate. It operates with equal efficiency at external temperatures ranging anywhere from -20°C to 55°C – something not generally available with most variable speed screw compressors.
What Makes The AquaForce® 30KAV Vision Chiller with Greenspeed intelligence So Special?
The AquaForce® Vision 30KAV with Greenspeed™ intelligence is Carrier’s most efficient, intelligent and compact variable-speed screw chiller. This new generation, the air-cooled liquid chiller was developed with one key objective in mind: to deliver exceptionally high performance in the most demanding commercial and industrial applications, without compromising on its optimal energy consumption.
Thanks to an innovative combination of features, including intelligent controls, real-time data access, incredible energy efficiency and connectivity, users now have the tools to manage their buildings proactively to ensure occupant comfort doesn’t come at the environment’s expense.
The AquaForce Vision 30KAV achieves its outstanding energy performance through automatically adjusting the cooling capacity and water flow to perfectly match the needs of the building or process load variations. This means it offers optimal operation whether at full or part load. In addition, it’s equipped with variable-speed screw compressors and fans, as well as optional variable-speed pumps, and has a SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) of 5.5 in cooling mode, and an EER (Energy Efficiency Ratio) of up to 3.49 at full load. This is an incredible 40% saving on energy compared to its predecessor, yet it has the same footprint!
“AquaForce Vision 30KAV sets a new benchmark for efficiency, compactness and intelligence,“ says William Doll, product manager, Carrier, HVAC Europe. “Our engineers have developed state-of-the-art technologies that exceed the European Ecodesign energy performance standards by 30%.”
Features Of The AquaForce Vision 30KAV Chiller Range
The AquaForce® Vision 30KAV introduces the latest cutting-edge AHI Carrier technologies, including:
- The brand new 06Z variable-speed screw compressor.
- The 6th generation of Flying Bird® Fan with EC motor.
- The 3rd generation of Novation® microchannel heat exchangers with a unique W coil design built in one single piece.
It also features the advanced intelligent Touch Pilot® control system, which displays operating parameters in real-time. This makes it intuitive and incredibly user-friendly. The system boasts a colour touch screen user interface available in 10 languages. On top of this, the 30KAV can be connected to Carrier’s remote monitoring centres where Carrier engineers can analyse data and optimise chiller performance.
Benefits Of The AquaForce Vision 30KAV Chiller Range
We’ve already outlined some of the amazing benefits this new chiller range has to offer, but here are just a few more:
- Energy savings of 25-35% per year over conventional chiller technology.
- Completely new inverter-driven Carrier 06Z twin-rotor screw compressors offering exceptional reliability and efficiency.
- Positive displacement compression, with a wide operating range.
- No possibility of surge, ensuring resilience and continuity of cooling.
- Low noise (58 dB(A) at 10 metres) thanks to an integrated resonator.
- Inverter-driven motors mean negligible start-up current and improved power factor. This is a significant benefit in situations where there is restricted electrical supply and limited headroom.
- Third generation Novation micro-channel heat exchanger condenser coils in a new ‘W’ configuration. This ensures maximum condensing effect in a compact space.
- Refrigerant charge reduced by 40% – available with both HFC-134a refrigerant and low GWP HFO-1234ze refrigerant, ensuring the highest environmental credentials for use in green buildings.
The AquaForce® 30KAV Vision Chiller with Greenspeed intelligence range has applications in both new and retrofit projects and is available with options for free-cooling, partial and full heat recovery and low-temperature brine cooling.
To find out how you can benefit from our expert knowledge and wide range of energy-efficient chillers, contact us today on +27 11 878 6320 OR +27 21 5520336 or complete this form, and we’ll contact you.